WOODEN CAMPING SPOON
£35.00 — Sold Out
Wooden spoon with Red handle - hand carved by Will Priestley, Somerset.
Length - 19 cm
Bowl width - 4.5 cm
Traditional, elegant and sturdy. Will carves all his spoons with an axe and knives from ethically sourced wood, decorated with milk paint and treated with pure linseed oil.
All spoons are tool finished to leave a smooth surface, no sandpaper is used in the process.
A few words from Will - "How I carve a spoon" :
- I start by splitting the wood using an axe and a big whacker (technical term).
- Still with the axe, I roughly shape the spoon. The closer I can get to the final shape, the less knife work I’ll have to do.
- I use a carving knife to refine the shape. It’s very easy to be complacent and cut yourself so by learning safe techniques and making them habit, accidents become very few and far between.
- I hollow the bowl of the spoon using a knife with a curved blade
- Lastly is to soften some of the edges with the carving knife. These cuts are important as they make the spoon more comfortable to use and more durable.
I let the spoon dry for a few days before I paint the handle, or leave it au natural. I use milk paint to decorate my work; it’s a mix of milk protein, lime powder and natural pigment that just needs water. Once the paint is dry, I treat the spoon with pure linseed oil. This helps to waterproof the spoon and bring the colour of the wood out really nicely. After a few more days to let the oil dry (sunlight really helps speed this up), the spoon is ready to be sent out in to the world!